FSW4-AD 2222. Humans have spread to surrounding star systems. Following squabbles insurrections and skirmishes, humanity has split into 5 ideological factions. The treaty of 2220 established the militarisation of occupied systems only and the de-militarisation of unoccupied systems and space areas. Peace ensued for two years until factions started building transportable fortresses and a technologically advanced alien race began moving into unoccupied systems and space areas and sought to forge alliances with various of the human factions. Conflicts over systems and control space areas then ensued.
SHIP DICE COST
Fortress 20 6
Hive 20 4
Battleship 12 6
Serpent 12 4
Battlecruiser 10 5
Cruiser/Carriers 8 4
Destroyer 6 3
Frigate 4 2
Fighter 4 1(Imperials only)
Garganaught 8 3
Scorpion 8 2
Devastator 6 2
Reaper 4 1
1) Turn sequence. Income, Production, Movements & Combats.
2) Income of (5), 4, 3, 2, depending on system size. Income from any home system not occupied by enemy units, income from any other system occupied by own surface units.
3) Production only on systems where a fortress has been planted. Income units can only move across uncontested (connected) pathways of any length. Ships appear in neighbouring uncontested space. Surface unit appear on systems.
4) Movements & Combats.
A) Ships may move from one area of space to an adjacent one. (Imperial Fighters can only move from one area of space to another in Carriers.) If it contains enemy ships, Combat will occur. The attacking side can elect to retreat to the space it came from, and the defending side can elect to retreat to any friendly occupied or unoccupied space at the beginning of any combat round after the first.
B) Ships may fire on surface units in systems adjacent to the space they occupy. Combat occurs at the discretion of the attacking ships.
C) Ships may convey surface units between any two systems that border the space they occupy. Surface units may only be moved across one space area to another system in a turn. If surface units land on a system occupied by enemy surface units or fortresses Combat occurs.
D) A fortress may land on a system not occupied by enemy forces, and assimilate its carrier.
5) Combat. Risk Protocols. Up to 3Attack dice against 2Defence dice. by combat rounds, highest dice against highest dice, defenders win draws. Casualties at the discretion of each combatant.
6) The number of pieces of each type supplied reflects the limits of units of that type that a civilisation can support.
7) Initial Production Levels. Imperials 24, Aquarians 22, Chaoists 21, Darwinians 22, Soviets 22. No production on first move.
8) Fortresses. All civilisations start with one immobile Fortress on their largest world, and one fortress in a carrier in a space adjacent to the homeworld. Civilisations may purchase additional Fortresses and Carriers to transport them to other systems. A Fortress only becomes operational when landed on a system empty of opposing assets and its Carrier has become assimilated and removed from the display. Fortresses can only defend and only when not in a Carrier. If attacked in a carrier only the carrier defends.
9) Starting Conditions - Humans. 1 Fortress on homeworld, one next to it in space, all Cruisers, Destroyers, and Frigates deployed at will on any space territories adjacent to at least two home systems.
Reapers equal in number to the production values of all home systems on those systems.
10) Victory Objectives, conquest of as many systems as possible.
ALIENS. Special rules.
2) Income. From any system occupied by a Hive or Scorpion.
3) Production. At any system occupied by a Hive. (If connected)
Mutations: (performed during production phase) Scorpion to Hive cost 2. Scorpion to Serpent cost 1. Serpent to Hive not possible. Free mutations, Hive to Scorpion, Serpent to Scorpion, Hive to Serpent.
9) Starting Conditions. 1 Hive, 8 Serpents, 8 Scorpions, placed on any un-militarised treaty spaces or systems.
ALLIANCES. 2 Player. Aliens pick any two allies but not Imperials, by picking an ideology to back. The Imperials then ally with the other two factions. Aliens then set up and move first. Play order then established by lot and proceeds clockwise or anticlockwise by lot. Allied ships but not surface forces may occupy the same areas.
The following chart shows the ideological relationships of the five factions. The Aliens can pretend to any ideology to select a pair of allies. The Imperials will adjust their ideology to suit the allies they become left with.
Goths l Capitalists
(Mystical) ---------Imperials ------------(Rationalist)
Aquarians l Soviets
Additional optional tournament rules.
Tactical Attack dice bonus. D4+1, D6+2, D8+3, D10+3, D12+4.
Tactical Defence dice bonus. D4+1, D6+2, D8+3, D10+3, D12+4, D20+5.
Psychic Attack Bonus. Throw all attack dice twice, use highest score.
Psychic Defence Bonus. Throw all attack dice twice, use highest score.
Production bonuses. Add 1 or 2 to the income value of any system.
Leader and Character pieces can be added to the game to add these powers to any forces on a system or space area.